Oat based breakfasts have always been my thing. In winter a warm bowl of oats with berries to keep me happy and well, warm and summer a nice crunchy bowl of Granola is exactly what I need to get me started if I don’t have the patience for a smoothy.
I’ve always tried to keep my granolas healthy and sugar-free, however, it’s hard to find vegan-friendly, gluten free, low carb, sugar-free granola that doesn’t cost you both kidneys. So I started making my own and I think I have molded my recipe to the best I’ve ever made. I’m super excited to share it with you and its ALL the above ( vegan friends, I use honey, however, you can substitute the honey for maple syrup).
. 2 cups rolled oats, gluten-free
. 1 cup mixed nuts, chopped roughly
. 1 cup Medjool dates, chopped roughly
.½ cup raisins
.½ cup cranberries, dried
.½ cup pumpkin seeds
.½ tsp sea salt
.1 tsp cinnamon
.1 tsp pure vanilla extract
.½ cup natural peanut butter
.½ cup honey (or mapel syrup)
1. preheat oven to 160 Celsius and grease a large baking tray.
2. In a bowl combine oats, cinnamon, and salt.
3. In microwave or on the stovetop melt the peanut butter and honey until smooth ( I find it works better on stovetop)
4. Remove from heat and add vanilla extract
5. Combine all ingredients and stir well, making sure everything feels slightly sticky
6. Add to a baking tray and cook for 20 – 25 minutes. Making sure you stir halfway through.
7. Allow to cool and enjoy
TIP: A great way to make sure the granola is ready, remove a small portion from the oven and let cool. If it’s crunchy when cooled you’ve made granola!